Thursday, August 17, 2006

why no sweet food for me

FYI, I'm into 24 weeks preggie and so 'lucky' I have gestational diabetes. So, I cannot take sweet food. I must control my diet. I don't know why and how I got it. I have no family history of diabetes. I am not over age of 35 yet. I'm not a sweets or chocolate monster. So, why I got it?

What is gestational diabetes? It's a type of diabetes that occur during pregnancy only, which affect 2 -3% of pregnant women. See, told you I'm so lucky. My body is not able to produce enough insulin to break down sugar (glucose) to be used as energy. Without sufficient insulin the amount of sugar in the blood rises. Most often, gestational diabetes goes away after the baby is born.

Why my body cannot produce enough insulin during pregnancy? According to articles on internet, the placenta generates some kind of hormones to support the baby as the baby grows but it is believed that these hormones also block the action of the mother's insulin in her body. So, for mothers who have gestational diabetes, their pancreas works overtime to produce insulin, but the insulin does not lower the blood glucose levels. That's why my body always complain not enough insulin but in fact I have enough insulin, just that the hormones block my insulin action mah.

What is the effect of having high blood sugar? The baby will grow larger than normal size. Okay, let me explain according to my understanding from internet source. Insulin does not cross the placenta to the baby but glucose and other nutrients do. So extra blood glucose goes through the placenta, giving the baby high blood glucose levels. This causes the baby's little pancreas have to make extra insulin to get rid of the blood glucose. Poor little one, his/her pancrease has to start work hard in mummy's tummy. Since the baby is getting more energy than it needs to grow and develop, the extra energy is stored as FAT. So here you are, you get a fat baby. Larger baby may cause preggy mothers to have more difficult delivery or need a cesarean section.

After birth, baby may have a low blood sugar level. This is because the baby's pancreas makes extra insulin in response to the mother's high blood sugar levels. Shortly after birth, the baby may continue to make extra insulin even though high levels of blood sugar are no longer present. Sometimes babies are given an early feed of a sugar (glucose) solution through a drip to correct low blood sugar.

It also increased risk that the baby may have jaundice (yellowing of the skin) or congenital problems, such as a heart defect. An increased risk of the baby developing type II diabetes or being overweight later in life.

Sigh, that's why I cannot take sweet food lor. Currently, I'm quite busy taking regular blood tests to check my blood sugar level from time to time. These tests will let my super strict doctor know if my diet and exercise are keeping my blood sugar level normal. Since my blood sugar level still under acceptable level, so I don't need to take medicine to control my blood sugar level. Thank God! :)

As for my diet, I avoid eating foods that contain a lot of sugar, such as cake, cookies, candy, ice cream, chocolates or soft drinks. I eat foods that contain natural sugars, like fruits. However, my father tells me better avoid sweet fruits like oranges, bananas or cherries. Bappy says guava is the best fruit for me to take wor! Besides that, I also avoid taking much those high carbohydrate food like, fried mee, fried beehoon or fried rice.

Ya ya, my pregnancy journey sounds so boring with so many 'laws' and 'No No No'. What to do. But sometimes I'm naughty and steal 'some' chocolate from my dear friends sitting behind me. Err.. actually abit only lar. Don't worry.... :) Shhhh...

2 Comments:

At 9:43 AM, Blogger Mystique said...

your secret is out?? :P

 
At 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Monica,

Congratulation! Wah, u r 24 weeks already. hehe, it feel good to pregnant again. :)

Cheers

 

Post a Comment

<< Home